A little over a week ago, a friend of mine gave me a copy of a manuscript he’d written. I have to admit, I think the very act is worthy of applause. There is nothing quite like handing over your first born (figuratively speaking) to someone to critique. I mean, what if they think it’s awful?
In short, I didn’t think it was awful. As a first draft, it needed a little editing…but the style was good and the main character, apart from being a little too self indulgent, was interesting. Like I said, I give him kudos for the effort.
What the book did accomplish, apart from providing a little too much information about how my buddy beds broads (how’s that for a Tuesday morning alliteration?), was that swift kick in the pants I needed to start writing my own.
I’ve had too many ideas for too long. No more excuses. It’s time to see where it takes me. One chapter down.
But back to the blog for now…
For my readers who have a blog, you know how difficult it is to come up with blog-worthy material on a daily basis. For those who don’t have a blog–just trust me. So, to keep things going on those non-blog-worthy days, I’ve decided to start posting short thoughts just to keep the ball rolling. They’ll look something like this:
- Did anyone else notice in the “Diplomacy by Beer” pics that the only person drinking was the guy who’d been called “stupid”?
- I’m willing to bet somewhere, someone actually believes the death of Michael Jackson is a sign of the second coming–and I’m inclined to agree. The media’s fascination with this is as frightening as a bad Baptist Revelations video.
- Maybe I’ve been on the outskirts of the dating scene for too long…but when did I’m a doormat with eight kids become a turn-on?
- Could someone please explain to the Republicans that the phrase “This is your time to shine” doesn’t mean “this is your time to drop your pants and show your a$$.” Enough with the sex scandals already!!!
- And last but certainly not least…when will the Nationals learn? Calling out the Pirates for giving away their team is only excusable if you’re able to win a series against them.